|Installing stone flooring in your home or office can be the perfect solution for some situations. If properly sealed at installation stone flooring can last a lifetime. Natural stone flooring, faux stone vinyl flooring, stone laminate flooring, and the new plastic flooring that looks like stone are options you can choose from to create the look you want. Stone tile flooring at your entrance or stone patio flooring are ways you can finish an area so it will withstand foot traffic and weather.|
Stone flooring is an excellent choice for some situations. It’s durable so good for entryways and bathrooms. It makes a great solar mass so is good for passive solar homes as heat storage. It’s elegant so wonderful for living rooms or great rooms.
The material is a natural looking element that has been used in homes for hundreds of years. The most obvious advantage of this type of flooring is the beauty and design that it offers. The major disadvantage to it is that natural stone flooring can be quite expensive. But, there are many ways around that. If you are considering the purchase of stone flooring for your home or business, insure that you realize the many ways in which you can purchase it.
More Types Than You Thought
There are several types of stone flooring. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Depending on the overall goals of your project, you should choose the best selection for your needs.
Natural Stone Flooring: There are several materials that are used in “real” stone floors. These include limestone, marble, slate, quartzite, granite and flagstone, sandstone, and travertine. You should select the product to use based on your budget as well as on your preferences in durability, color, texture and shape. Also, it is important to consider the weight of the stone as some structures can not support a very heavy flooring, at least not without increasing floor support.
Faux Stone Flooring: There are several types of faux flooring options for you to consider. These are the ideal ways to go if you are under budget constraints. Most of the products you find will not be completely like the real thing, but in most cases they are an agreeable alternative. Here are some examples to consider.
- Faux stone vinyl flooring is made from vinyl materials to resemble stone. You will find a wide selection to choose from, and although they are not true stone, they come close to looking like that. The biggest problem with these is their lack of true texture.
- Stone laminate flooring is another interesting choice. It provides for another “faux” look with all the many benefits of laminate. It is much easier to care for and much lower in price too.
- There are many other products on the market that you can select from as well. But, before you try out that new plastic flooring that looks like stone, you should first get your hands on it and feel it. Does it give you the look, texture and tone that you are after?
Stone Tile Flooring: In this stone flooring where the stone is cut into a tiles, rather than being left in bigger, more irregular shapes. This allows for a realistic look and an easier installation. Consider it the mid-way point between faux options and natural stone flooring.
Things To Consider
When you consider stone flooring for your home or business, there are several points that you should remember prior to making your selection.
- Installing stone flooring should be done by a professional. If you plan to do it yourself, make sure to follow instructions very carefully. If you don’t, you are likely to have a floor that cracks, chips or is uneven and causes someone to fall.
- You should take into consideration how to clean stone flooring as well. It is not as easy as you might like. Each type of stone requires its own methods; you may find it somewhat tiresome to take care of stone, beautiful as it is.
- Lastly, you should realize that stone flooring can be used in virtually every aspect of the home from the kitchen, bath and entry to stone patio flooring.
Stone flooring is beautiful and durable, but a bit fussy to care for. If you want to make a statement that other flooring options don’t make. Or it’s great if you want to lower your heating bills by using it for storing, and subsequently releasing, heat into your home. Stay on top of the maintenance of your stone flooring and it will last a lifetime.